FAQ on Deficiency in the Property Maintenance Management
There is deficiency in the property maintenance and management. The reply by supporters of the members of management committee in the chat group claims that the members of the management committee are volunteers and are busy people. What is your advice?
- Members of a responsible management committee should quickly acknowledge any feedback and/or complaint and look into it together with the property manager and reply to the feedback accordingly.
- The day-to-day property maintenance and management is undertaken by the building manager (the manager who is based at the management office on a full time basis), and must be held accountable together with the property manager (the company engaged to provide the property maintenance and maintenance services) for any deficiency in the property maintenance and management.
- The management committee cannot ‘justify’ deficiency in property maintenance and management by saying that the services of members of the management committee are on volunteering basis. If they do not have time, they should not stand for election and/or should resign from the management committee.
- The Act 757 stipulates that the management committee is responsible for the property maintenance and management. The lack in property maintenance and management can lead to the issue of life and safety of the residents, deterioration of building and common property/facilities, and wastage of maintenance charges fund which will consequently affect the property and rental value.
- One cannot volunteer to be a committee member and at the same time not discharging
his/her duties and responsibilities.
For serious case, strata parcel owner can write to COB for advice. He/she can also seek advice from the Board of Valuers Appraisers Estate Agents& Property Managers Malaysia on the conduct and service of the registered property manager.